Saturday 12 May 2012

Dangerous Ishq - Movie Review. The title tries to warn you.


The last scene of Dangerous Ishq has Karishma Kapoor bawling her eyes out. I suspect that there was a range of emotions involved – Thank God the movie is over, Why did I subject the audience to this, Why did I say yes when this film was offered to me, Did I really wait so many years for this to be my relaunch film, What am I going to do with my tattered reputation after this, Why don’t people love me and my sister, Why don’t they make films like Prem Qaidi any more, etc. (Ok, ok, so perhaps she wasn’t thinking the last question)

I happened to catch Dangerous Ishq last night. There were all of eight other folks in the theater, and those kind of first day occupancy figures are already apocalyptic for a film, so I think I will be kind to it.

The story is simple. There is a hero, a heroine, a bunch of villains, a male do-gooder and a female do-gooder. Hero gets kidnapped, heroine searches for him, and male and female do-gooders help her in the search. After a few strange plot twists, which make you take some deep breaths from ennui rather than elation, it is all over, and the unhappy audience quickly springs to its feet and moves on with life after this minor mishap.

On performances, Karishma is earnest, red-eyed, and doesn’t shriek as much as she used to in the past, Divya Dutta and Jimmy Shergill (as the female and male do-gooders) are reasonably ok, and the hero is too new and inconsequential to even talk about.

Music is below average and strictly functional, but there is just too much background music – especially in scenes where Karishma looks down dark and mysterious hallways, which she appeared to do every 5-10 minutes.

Oh, and the movie is 3D. For absolutely no reason at all. Quite like buying an Ambassador and installing alloy wheels on it. Pointless, because it is still an Ambassador.  

Audience reaction overheard – “I think it was way too long…maybe they could have edited out an hour or so”. Point to note – the movie was only about an hour and 45 minutes in length.

Audience reaction also overheard – “I think she still looks good for her age”. Point to note – Karishma is 37, not 65.

Movie rating – Save your 250 bucks and go have a thali at Haldiram’s instead.


5 comments:

  1. Achala Srivatsa12 May 2012 at 11:48

    I like the fact that you said you'd caught Dangerous Ishq. Sounds virulent.And from the look if probably is. I'm tempted to watch it just to see how awful it is. A bit like letting hot wax drip on your finger from a candle to see how long you can stand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say it was minor case of flu, nothing too dramatic. Don't take the film too seriously and you might not mind it too much. KK tries hard to save the film.
      Those 3D glasses were a killer, though. My nose is scarred forever, I think.

      Delete
  2. i am recommending your name for the bravery awards this year ...you truly deserve it hands down ..for even attempting to see this film !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :p
    If this is the first time u've written a movie review,,, then i think u shud consider it as an alternate profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that! I seem to not like any movie - yet I keep watching them. I hope :)

      Delete